Official Recognized LGBT Sites in NYC
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Forms
All reports, with the exception of the Bayard Rustin Residence and the National Headquarters for the March on Washington (which the Project helped nominate for its association with openly gay civil rights leader Bayard Rustin), were written by members or consultants of the NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project team. Years signify when each site was listed on the National Register. Each site is also listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places.
NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission Designation Reports
The LPC is the city agency responsible for designating and regulating significant historic sites as protected landmarks. Reports included here are for those landmarks that were designated primarily for LGBT significance. Years signify when each site was designated a landmark or historic district.
LGBT Place-Based History (New York City)
Documents written or co-written by members of the NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, with the exception of the Stonewall National Monument page.
Maps co-created by members of the NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project.
Awards & Recognition
We are honored to have received the following awards and recognitions.
- New York State Historic Preservation Award (2018), New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
- “Preservation of LGBTQ Historic & Cultural Sites – A New York City Perspective” in the National Park Service’s LGBTQ America: A Theme Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer History, Vernacular Architecture Forum’s Paul E. Buchanan Award for Excellence in Field Work, Interpretation, and Public Service (2018)
- Excellence in Historic Preservation Award (2019), Preservation League of New York State
- “Preservation of LGBTQ Historic & Cultural Sites – A New York City Perspective” in Preservation and Place: Historic Preservation by and of LGBTQ Communities in the United States, University of Mary Washington Center for Historic Preservation Book Prize (2020)
- Grassroots Preservation Award, Historic Districts Council (2020)
Learn more about our project through these videos.
LGBT Place-Based History (Nationwide)
Links to information on the recognition and preservation of LGBT historic sites throughout the country.
Follow us on social media: