New Victory Theater (originally Theatre Republic)
after opening as the Theatre Republic in 1900, this site was renamed the Belasco Theater in 1902, again renamed the Theatre Republic in 1910, Billy Minsky's Burlesque in 1931, the Victory Theater in 1942, and the New Victory Theater in 1995
Opened as the Theatre Republic in 1900, this venue staged two known works by gay playwrights, one by Clyde Fitch and the other by Roi Cooper Megrue.
After being converted to burlesque in 1931 and a movie theater in 1942, it reopened as the New Victory Theater in 1995.
On the MapVIEW The Full Map
This venue, the oldest surviving Broadway theater, was originally known as the Theatre Republic. There were two known plays by gay playwrights at this theater, both rather successful: Lover’s Lane (1901) by Clyde Fitch (opened at the Manhattan Theater), and Where Poppies Bloom (1918) by Roi Cooper Megrue.
In 1931, it was converted to burlesque, then in 1942 to movies. The theater was restored and reopened in 1995 as the New Victory Theater for family-oriented fare.
- Architect or Builder: Albert Westover
- Year Built: 1900
Internet Broadway Database.