overview

Opened as the Theatre Republic in 1900, this venue staged two known works by gay playwrights, one by Clyde Fitch and the other by Roi Cooper Megrue.

After being converted to burlesque in 1931 and a movie theater in 1942, it reopened as the New Victory Theater in 1995.

Header Photo

Credit: Sarah Sargent/NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, 2019.

On the Map

History

This venue, the oldest surviving Broadway theater, was originally known as the Theatre Republic. There were two known plays by gay playwrights at this theater, both rather successful: Lover’s Lane (1901) by Clyde Fitch (opened at the Manhattan Theater), and Where Poppies Bloom (1918) by Roi Cooper Megrue.

In 1931, it was converted to burlesque, then in 1942 to movies. The theater was restored and reopened in 1995 as the New Victory Theater for family-oriented fare.

Hosted by YouTube

Hosted by Soundcloud

Other Sites in the Neighborhood

244-254 West 52nd Street, Manhattan

Neil Simon Theater (originally Alvin Theater)

Performance Venues
138-146 West 48th Street, Manhattan

Cort Theater

Performance Venues
149-157 West 45th Street, Manhattan

Lyceum Theater

Performance Venues