overview

This collection highlights the most recent historic sites that have been added to the map.

We are continuously working to add more sites to the website as they are researched, written, and photographed.

If you have suggestions, please fill out our form. It is possible that we are already aware of the site, but it is helpful to know which sites matter to you.

On the Map

 

Multimedia

Hosted by Vimeo

Hosted by Soundcloud

Featured Historic Sites (12)

A
77th Street & Broadway
Guillermo Vasquez was a leading gay rights, AIDS, and Latino community activist in Queens who emigrated from Colombia in 1972. Seventeen years after his 1996 death from AIDS-related complications, this... Learn More
B
149 West 14th Street
Kooky’s, also known as Kooky’s Cocktail Lounge, was a lesbian bar that operated from 1965 to 1973. After the Stonewall uprising of June 1969, Kooky’s was the site of lesbian-led... Learn More
C
53 West 19th Street
Gianni’s was a popular, Mafia-run lesbian bar open from 1966 until 1975. After it closed, three other lesbian bars, Casa Maria, Silhouette, and the lesbian-owned Ariel’s operated here. Credit: Christopher... Learn More
D
205 West 57th Street
Leonard Bernstein, perhaps the most influential figure in American classical music during the post-war era, lived in the Osborne Apartments from 1951 until c. 1960. During this time he wrote... Learn More
E
78-11 Roosevelt Avenue
Owned since 1989 by business and personal partners Eddie Valentin and Casimiro Villa, Friend’s Tavern (or Friend’s) in Jackson Heights is known as the oldest active gay bar in Queens.... Learn More
F
77-02 Broadway
The Love Boat was a popular gay Latino bar and dance space in Elmhurst, situated on the border of Jackson Heights. Drawing crowds of gay men with roots from countries... Learn More
G
89th Street & 37th Avenue
In 1993, the inaugural Queens Pride Parade and Multicultural Festival took place in the historically gay neighborhood of Jackson Heights and was the first such event to be organized in... Learn More
H
117 MacDougal Street
The Swing Rendezvous was a jazz club and lesbian bar that was open from 1938 to 1965. Among the bar’s notable patrons were writer and activist Audre Lorde and Kitty... Learn More
I
Fifth Avenue and East 61st Street
The first German-American Steuben Parade, celebrating German-American heritage, was held in 1958. Named for the hero of the American Revolution, Baron Friedrich Wilhelm Augustus von Steuben, it inadvertently honors a... Learn More
J
4 St Marks Place
This 1831 house had a significant and colorful Off-Off-Broadway theatrical history from 1955 to 1967, reflecting its location on St. Mark’s Place during the cultural ascendancy of the East Village.... Learn More
K
74 East 4th Street
La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club was founded in 1961 by Ellen Stewart and moved to 74 East 4th Street in the East Village in 1969. Today it is widely considered... Learn More
L
87 Christopher Street
From c. 1960 to 2010, absurdist playwright H.M. “Harry” Koutoukas lived in this apartment building. While here, he contributed to the burgeoning Off-Off-Broadway theater movement in the 1960s through his... Learn More